IMPACT OF INFORMATION AND COMMUNICATION TECHNOLOGY ON THE MODERN BUSINESS WORLD ( A CASE STUDY OF SOME SELECTED ORGANIZATIONS IN CROSS RIVER STATE)
1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
In today’s national and international buiness world, information is a price less commodity, what ever form it takes, without up – to the minutes, accurate information, most commercial organization would quickly founder.
Such business offices serve as hubs or centers of information which take in, process, store and relay data and messages in a host of situations, financing, selling, building, making, servicing or advising – so as to to enable all sorts of people to function in their jobs, ranging from senior managers planning company activities over the next five years to stop assistants quering the current retail price of a product.
While manual and paper-based system of information processing are still much in use, in the form of book, diaries, letters, invoices and so on, more and more office facilities are today being undertaken by electronic and compute-based technology.
Information technology, both in the industry and business world is resourceful. In the 1905s, business embarked on the first widespread use of computer primarily as tools for recording and processing accounting transactions.
Thus information technology has only really been part of business for about the last 40 years. Nonetheless, information technology is one of the most important resources in today’s business environment. But what exactly is information technology.
Aronu (1999) defines information technology as the combination of two technologies; computing and telecommunication (the cornerstone of information technology and the main purpose of which is to transmit representation of information (signals) between remote locations).
One must admit that the modern business world have been reshaped, compared to the business of years ago. History has it that man has to cross oceans, spend huge amount of money and energy to transfer information or transact business. Since the advert of computers, experts have contributed to research with a view of making computer a greater advantage to the business world.
The world at present is connected to a global system of communication that ensures speedy information and business transaction. The global system of communication involves the uses of computer, GSM, fax machine etc.
The modern technology offers world wide communication capability, a mechanism for information dissemination and a medium for collaboration and interaction between individuals without regard or geographical location.
Buying and selling electronically is changing the way people think and carry out transaction all over the world. Time, distance, and competitive product quality, is no longer the problem. This has triggered off increased economic activities and is having a considerable impact on the world of business. The business world should not be left out in this trend. Inspite of many business hindrances ranging from poor computer appreciation to inadequate communication facilities, the business world must strive to harness the huge economic potentials inherent in this amazing technology that has revolutionalised global economics.
1.2 STATEMENT OF PROBLEMS
today’s organizational environment is quite different from that of the past. The global competition, information technology , the quality service revolution, and diversity and ethics have forces management of all types of organizations to totally rethink their approach to both operations and human resources. Because of the sudden shift, organizations are now more responsive to both their internal and external environments. The modern business world is characterized by state of art information technology.
However most modern business organization’s, inspite of the numerous benefits associated with technological advancement are yet to help pace with drastic change and also the cost involved in acquiring the facilities, training and retraining of work force. Also important is the general attitude to embracing change.
1.2 PURPOSE OF THE STUDY
The main purpose of this study is to examine each of these characteristics of today’s business world. On a more specific term, to 1. Examine the role of information technology on the modern business world.
2. Examine the impact of information technology on performance of the workers.
3. Look into impact of information technology on communicvation in the modern business organization.
4. To find out the attitude of organizations and their workers towards the change brought about by information technology. This research work is intended to enhance knowledge and eliminate difficulties encountered in the business world in relation to the use of information technology. The research work is specifically aimed at:
1.3 RESEARCH QUESTIONS
I what role does information technology play on the modern business world?
ii. What are the impacts of information technology on workers performance?
Iii what impact does information technology have on communication in the modern business organization ?
i. What are the attitude of workers towards the change brought about by information technology.
1.4 SCOPE OF THE STUDY
This study was carried out in some selected organization spread within Kaduna Metropolis.
The study also covers the impact and problems of information technology, also the modern equipments used in communication.
1.5 SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
It is hoped that, the findings and solutions of this research work will be of immense benefit to the following:
(1) Government: It will enable the government realize the relevance of information technology to the business and thus, strive to meet the challenges posed by information technology. It will also help the government plan her business policy along the path of information technology.
(2) Private organizations: This research work will provide opportunity to the private organization to look inward and restructure their organization to meet the intrigues of information technology simultaneously, its relevance to the modern day business.
(3) Educational institutions: It is believe that, at the end of this study, the educational authorities will see the urgent need to introduce information technology course to the academic curriculum and at the same time equip her students.
(4) Students: This research work will serve as a vital academic tool for students who may wish to write further on this topic.
DEFINITION OF TERMS
MODERN: Of the present and recent times
TECHNOLOGY: A systematic study or technique for making and doing things.
INFORMATION: This is a data that has been processed and can be used for decision making.
TCP/IP: TCP/IP stands for transmission control protocol/internet protocol, the language governing communications between all computers on the internet. TCP/IP is a set of instructions that dictates how packets of information are sent across multiple networks.
EQUIPMENT: Tools or machinery used for specific purposes..